As a top priority, the Australian government is assisting its Department of Home Affairs in addressing the current delays in visa applications.
Since May 2022, the Department has hired nearly 140 new visa processing employees and returned to decision-making procedures prior to the pandemic.
How this relates to you
A Request for Information (RFI) from the Department of Home Affairs will be sent to you in your ImmiAccount if your application is incomplete.
You are required to provide the requested information as soon as possible when you receive an RFI.
The Department of Home Affairs will finish processing your visa application without the requested information if you do not provide it by the deadline. Your visa may not be granted if all of the information is not evaluated.
What you should do
- Lodge a student visa application at least 6-8 weeks before course commencement.
- Regularly check your ImmiAccountfor any requests from the Department of Home Affairs.
- Respond to any requests for further information or documentation as soon as you can – BEFORE the stated deadline (the sooner, the better).
- If you are having difficulty getting the required documentation, you should request an extension of timethrough your ImmiAccount.
- If you are requesting an extension, you should provide evidence of any actions you have taken to obtain the required information, such as a payment receipt or booking confirmation, in order to support your request for more time.
The Australian government will continue to prioritize visa processing, but it will take some time to reduce the number of applications awaiting a decision.